We are a married couple who adopted our little Russky, Nikita {aka Nicky, Nicky noodle, little man, Nikoli, the Nickster, crazy dude, goofball, puppy love, etc...you get the picture!} from St Petersburg, Russia four years ago. Join us as we stumble through the joys and perils of parenthood, while our son teaches us a few things along the road...



8.06.2009

PELICANS!!!

Ok - so as I've mentioned before, Kris is NOT a fan of birds. In fact, they completely creep him out and he will go out of his way to avoid them as much as possible. Not that I really enjoy co-mingling with the winged creatures, but I wouldn't wish them any ill-will either. I do, however, very much enjoy teasing my beloved about his phobia! In fact, the first Christmas after we were married, my mom wrapped a picture she painted of a bird and gave it to Kris as a gift - the look on his face was PRICELESS and I cannot believe I do not possess a picture of him holding it!
Anywho...While we were on vacation in the Keys, we visited Robbie's Marina, where we not only fed the monster tarpon fishes, but dined on the most fabulous meal ever! (Sidebar about the food - the place looks like the biggest dive from the, well, outside and inside. But let me assure you - the food was to die for! If you ever find yourself in Islamorada, FL, we highly recommend dining at this spot.) Nicky was so excited to drop the small baitfish to the humongous "silver kings" off the side of the dock! He reached right into the bucket without hesitation - and let me tell you - Kris and I were hesitating.Neither of us fed a single fish - there was NO way we were going to touch the slimy dead fish, much less hold them over the edge of a dock where giant, hungry, tarpon were jumping out of the water for a snack! Before we knew it, we were finished with the first bucket, hearing Nicky squeal "again! more fish please!". Definitely worth the few bucks we shelled out!
Enter the pelicans... Momma had imbibed in a few adult beverages prior to our outing that evening, and was a little unsteady as she snapped shots of her son gleefully enjoying nature. There were several pelicans wandering the dock, looking for a little snack of their own, and one had to be careful to "shoo" them away so they would not steal the baitfish from the buckets. As I tried to both take pictures, and shoo pelicans, I may have lost my footing, and may have possibly fell backwards, putting my hand into something green and mushy. (Thank goodness I didn't fall into the water - I woulda been tarpon dinner for sure!) So - as I steadied myself, and checked out the "present" I picked up from the dock, I quickly realized that I might not be the biggest fan of pelicans after all! There was nowhere to wipe my hand, other than the side of the dock, and it would be another 10-15 minutes before we ventured to the bathroom for a good 3-time wash!!! YUK! At least I had consumed those beverages earlier, or I may have been even more grossed out than I was.
Now - for the kicker of the story. My friend Gina thought it was quite the tale. You see, she's a native Floridian, and quite enjoyed hearing of us Texans and our jaunt to her native-land. So - she bought me a present on her trip back home the week after we returned. (Sidebar - Nicky had to "hold it please" when we showed it to him, and promptly broke it in 2 in less than 5 minutes! Thank you for the gorilla glue, Gina!)
The funniest part is, she completely forgot of Kris' love of birds! So - the gift is even more comical than she originally intended! Oh - and, Kris - does the nightstand look familiar to you?! (btw...this is Kris' first viewing of our new "pet"!) Tee hee hee...I just crack myself up!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...