We are a married couple who adopted our little Russky, Nikita {aka Nicky, Nicky noodle, little man, Nikoli, the Nickster, crazy dude, goofball, puppy love, etc...you get the picture!} from St Petersburg, Russia four years ago. Join us as we stumble through the joys and perils of parenthood, while our son teaches us a few things along the road...



2.23.2010

An Adoption Tale

Given the direction our conversations with Nicky have turned regarding his past, we've been reading him his children's books about Russian adoption quite frequently.  He has two, both are written by Adrienne Ehlert Bashista, who also adopted from Russia, and they are equally great. 

The first one is called:  When I Met You: A Story of Russian Adoption
The second is called:  Mishka, An Adoption Tale
The Mishka (little bear) book pretty much details, in little people words, the exact adoption process.  I bought and read it before we went on our first trip to meet Nicky, but up until a month or so ago, I had not read it since.  (It's a little longer than the 'When I Met You' book, therefore did not really hold Nicky's attention.)  The book is so much like what we experienced, that it brings all the emotions of the trip to the surface. 

The first time I read it to Nicky, I couldn't make it 3 pages before bursting into tears - big, uncontrollable sobs.  Kinda scared the little guy, and he rubbed my arm, wiped my tears and told me "it ok momma.  don't be scared."  Of course, this only made me cry harder, and hug him tighter.  The second time I read the book was a bit better.  I still cried; Nicky still wiped my tears; but we were able to talk about it a bit.  Each time I've read it since, it's gotten easier - I still get choked up, but I'm able to add little tidbits from our trip to help Nicky understand that the story is just as much about him, as it is Yuri, the little boy in the book.

In the meantime, I've ordered more books about adoption from Amazon...for him and for us big people.  I've also talked to his teacher at his private school, and let her know that it's ok for him to talk about it.  Kris and I are going to sit down with Nicky and talk to him (as best we can) once we get the books, and then we'll share the same things we tell him with his teachers, so we're all on the same page.  I also have a call into our social worker to see what she can recommend we tell him, and how to go about it. 

Parenthood never gets any easier, does it? 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...