We are a married couple who adopted our little Russky, Nikita {aka Nicky, Nicky noodle, little man, Nikoli, the Nickster, crazy dude, goofball, puppy love, etc...you get the picture!} from St Petersburg, Russia four years ago. Join us as we stumble through the joys and perils of parenthood, while our son teaches us a few things along the road...



2.23.2010

i grow in you belly momma?

One of Nicky's teachers at his private school are pregnant.  With a room full of curious 4-ish year olds, it was only a matter of time before this became fodder for conversation in their classroom.  Well, the other morning it happened.  As I was dressing Nicky for school, I had the following conversation:

Nicky:  everyone have momma? 
Momma:  Yes, everyone has a Momma.
Nicky:  babies grow in mommas belly?
Momma:  (perplexed at the randomness of the questioning at first...)  Yes, babies do grow in the bellies of Mommas.
Nicky:  oh.  (pause)  i grow in you belly?
Momma:  (aha - that's what we're talking about...deep breath...think...think...think...what do I say...soo not prepared for this before I've had my coffee...)  Well, Nicky, you actually have two Mommas.  You were born in Russia, right?  (we have told him this since we brought him home...trying to be open about everything)
Nicky:  right momma.
Momma:  Well, you grew in one Momma's belly in Russia, then Daddy and I went to Russia and brought you back here to Texas to live in this house with us.
Nicky:  ooooooohhh.

Humph...clear as mud, I'm sure.  A few days later, at the dinner table, Nicky said he told his teacher he grew in Momma's belly in Russia.  I had forgotten to tell Kris about our little tête-à-tête, so he looked at me a tad bit confused, then I filled him in.  Who knows what his teachers are thinking.  We've mentioned that he's adopted, but we don't know what's being said in the class. 

Although we're not sure what Nicky is understanding from all our talks at the moment, we are sure that we will be having many more of these conversations in the future.  I better hit up Amazon.com to see what kind of books they have for this kind of situation.  I knew I would have to do so at some point...but I thought it would be further in the future...I feel so ill-prepared!  Poor little guy...I can only imagine how confusing all of this is for him!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...