We are a married couple who adopted our little Russky, Nikita {aka Nicky, Nicky noodle, little man, Nikoli, the Nickster, crazy dude, goofball, puppy love, etc...you get the picture!} from St Petersburg, Russia four years ago. Join us as we stumble through the joys and perils of parenthood, while our son teaches us a few things along the road...



5.12.2010

They Should Call the Doll "Chatty Nicky" Instead


Seriously.  And if I have to start out a post by saying "seriously", then you know I mean business.  So, seriously.  What's up with all the chatter?  The Russky has gone from never talking at all, to jabbering on constantly about nothing at all, all the time!  And it's not like he's really saying much - most of the time it's the constant repeating of the same effing thing over and over, even though we've acknowledged him after the first time he's said it.  And he will say the same exact thing every single time he sees something that he's seen a million times.  Every day we drive by workers putting up a building - we'll hear "diggers!" from the backseat then he'll tell us they're building offices.  Then a few more yards we drive by a church and he points out the steeple - yep...they put up a steeple 4 months ago, thanks for letting us know Captain Obvious!  That's his new nickname in fact - Captain Obvious. 

And it's not just on the road.  It's while we read books.  He'll point out the exact same things every time - and they're always the super obvious things.  "der a cat."  "dat a ball."  "dat a beer."  (I swear we don't read him books with beers in them, but he has seen a few beer bottles in his short life, and he swears the picture of a seatbelt on a man in a big rig in one of his books is a beer - no matter what we tell him.  and - he's always right!) 

Then there's the "i watch tv".  So I think, ok, let's watch a little tv - maybe he'll zone out for a minute and give my ears a rest.  I'm not the biggest fan of Sponge Bob.  It doesn't teach anything; it's kinda crass; and it's overall annoying.  But, he seems to like it, and I used to be guaranteed that he would stare at it quietly, as if he's been possessed for 30 minutes.  I sit with him and half-watch while checking out some facebook, and now 50 percent of the time, Nicky will talk all through it, giving me a blow-by-blow of the show as I'm watching it!  Like I said, I don't like the show, but if I gotta watch it, I at least want to hear what's going on.  Argh!

Don't get me wrong.  We're thrilled that he is speaking now.  We just wish he were saying more and not repeating the same things over and over! 

Sigh.

Anyone have any earplugs I can borrow?

*the picture above has absolutely nothing to do with this post, but I put the hat on him at Target and texted it to Kris while he was at work one day just to torture him...pink being his favorite color and all!*

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...