We are a married couple who adopted our little Russky, Nikita {aka Nicky, Nicky noodle, little man, Nikoli, the Nickster, crazy dude, goofball, puppy love, etc...you get the picture!} from St Petersburg, Russia four years ago. Join us as we stumble through the joys and perils of parenthood, while our son teaches us a few things along the road...



5.15.2010

What I've Lost Up Top I've Gained Down There

I've been on my migraine regimen for almost 4 solid months now, and I'm happy to announce that as far as the headaches go, it appears to be working (knock on wood)!  The first few months didn't show much progress - I still had way too many days of headaches to count.  But, the past month has been pretty well pain-free!  I love it!  I almost didn't remember what it felt like to not have a headache.  I can't believe I went so long, in so much debilitating pain before finally finding something that actually helps.  Last month I only had about 3 days where I can say I hurt - and some of that was due to jet-lag from my trip to Europe I'm sure.  This month so far, I've had 1.  Yep.  ONE!  I feel like I finally have my life back!  I'm sure Kris is happy about it too, since I'm not complaining all the time.  It got to the point where he would ask me if I had a headache and I would snap at him "I always have one...don't ask...I'll let you know when I don't have one!"  So not fair to any of us. 

That said, as happy as I am to have my life back to normal (is there really a norm?)...it doesn't come without cost.  The pill I'm taking is causing me to lose my hair.  Not in the going through chemo way, but still in rather large amounts all throughout the day.  We're talking handfuls in the shower, all over my clothes during the day, on the furniture, and I've even pulled it off of Nicky!  I suppose I should be thankful of two things: 1) I still have eyebrows/eyelashes; 2) it's growing back, so I'm not exactly balding.  The other major side-effect of depakote is weight gain.  I've always been very weight conscious, so this one is a biggie for me.  I've gained roughly 10 pounds-ish.  It kind of fluctuates, but is still enough for me to notice when I wear a few pairs of my jeans.  I now have the biggest booty in our household (which isn't really saying much because neither Kris nor Nicky have one at all...sorry boys, but it's true)!

Despite the side-effects, I'm thankful to be more myself again.  The time spent with Nicky is much more enjoyable (especially since he's in the repeating everything over and over again stage - couldn't imagine that while having a migraine!).  And knock on wood...the drug continues to work and I don't have to go through the long, tumultuous task of finding another one!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...