We are a married couple who adopted our little Russky, Nikita {aka Nicky, Nicky noodle, little man, Nikoli, the Nickster, crazy dude, goofball, puppy love, etc...you get the picture!} from St Petersburg, Russia four years ago. Join us as we stumble through the joys and perils of parenthood, while our son teaches us a few things along the road...



1.11.2010

Life Without Running Water

We're back up and running now, but let me tell you, there's no way I would have survived at that Little House on the Prarie!!!  Goodness - I've never been so thankful to hear the water running in the kitchen sink.  Kris and I high-fived and did the happy dance.  

I'll back up a little bit.  It was stupid-cold (as it has been across the US) last Thursday night, Friday, and Friday night and Saturday didn't really get above the freezing point for more than an hour or so.  Friday morning, we woke Nicky to get him ready for school and when I turned the faucet, nothing happened.  I frantically ran throughout the house checking each one to come to the aganozing realization that we had no running water whatsoever.  Apparently our main line froze - or right at the entry point to the house, who knows.  Our good friend Gina was nice enough to let me borrow her shower and take me into work that morning...my co-workers can thank me, for not coming to work smelling like I emerged from a swamp!  We were never able to find the point where the main line meets the house, so we weren't able to try any of the fancy de-thawing techniques we found on the internet.  Our plight was to sit and wait.

It warmed up a bit more late Sunday afternoon, and 2 hours after I "borrowed" a shower from our neighbors (figures - stuff always happens like that - just like going to the bathroom is the sure-fire way of getting your food to arrive at a restaurant), Kris tested it again, and we had water.  We ran it for a while, to check for any possible leaks, which might indicate that a pipe had burst, but we didn't see any water where it didn't belong...thank goodness!!!  You betcha we kept a few faucets dripping last night, just in case.  And, we learned our lesson for any cold weather our future may hold for that matter!

Thank you so much to Gina, and to the most wonderful neighbors in the world, for keeping us and our house hydrated, and from being too stinky! :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...