We are a married couple who adopted our little Russky, Nikita {aka Nicky, Nicky noodle, little man, Nikoli, the Nickster, crazy dude, goofball, puppy love, etc...you get the picture!} from St Petersburg, Russia four years ago. Join us as we stumble through the joys and perils of parenthood, while our son teaches us a few things along the road...



5.19.2009

The Migraine

So, here it is, the big excuse. Once again, it's been a while since I've last posted. "Why?", you might ask. Well, the answer is this...the non-stop migraine that will not leave my head. I've had this current bad-boy that will not leave for just over 3 weeks now. And I'm not talking about any old mild-mannered headache. I'm talking about a knock-down drag-out pounding, piercing, throbbing, makes me wanna scoop my brains out kind of pain. I'm busy enough to push through the work week, crashing as soon as we get Nicky to bed. However, when the weekend comes, and I finally have a minute to rest, it's like my body completely shuts down and the pain in my head consumes me and sleeping is the only thing I am capable of. It's horrible. I don't want that for me - and especially not for Nicky! How terrible is that for his first memories of his childhood to be "Momma sleeping?" Thank God for my wonderful, understanding husband who has been there to do the laundry, the dishes, take care of the screaming wild-man that can be our son, and to keep our household together. If it weren't for him I would probably look as bad as I feel.

I'm seeing a neurologist who has put me on a daily pill (topimax), which is supposed to help me have fewer migraines each month, but it's not working one bit!!! The pill is actually one that's prescribed for people with epilepsy, and they've found that it helps those that suffer from frequent migraines. All I've found that it helps with is giving me new ailments like: 1) food aversions - carbonated beverages taste flat (i.e. can't drink beer! and I LOVE beer!!!) and I can no longer eat scrambled eggs (I can take or leave those, but beer?!); 2) paresthesia - makes my fingers/toes/lips/tongue very tingly & if my foot ever dares to fall asleep, it takes forever to wake up & hurts like heck when doing so!; 3) memory loss - I kinda feel a little silly at times (I am a dumb blond, after all) - I'm not able to come up with the easiest of words or the names of people I see on a daily basis. The worst part is I'm getting absolutely no relief whatsoever and these side effects are only the mild ones...I could get kidney stones, cognitive/neuropsychiatric adverse events (huh?!), more fatigue (like I need that...I have a 3 year old to make me tired!), and further reduced cognitive capacity. Great. The only positive thing is this pill helps with weight loss...not that I need a lot of help in that department, but I am a girl and girls always want to lose 5 pounds or so! I go back to see him in July, and if I don't see any improvement by then, off this pill I go...I just can't take it. If any of you fellow migraine sufferers out there have any advice...I'll take it! In the meantime, I have been taking several other migraine drugs (Maxalt/Axert/Treximet/Zomig) that are supposed to get rid of them and I'm here to tell you that they don't work. At all. My head just laughs in their faces. Then there's the over-the-counter stuff. Tylenol? Yeah right. Aspirin...are you kidding me? Excedrin Migraine...well, at least I got some caffeine out of it! I feel like a walking pharmacy. I wish I could get a refund for every pill I've taken that hasn't helped me...I'd take Nicky to McDonald's! :)

Anyway...enough of my whining. Just had to get that all out...now back to blogging as usual!

ps...thank you so much to my husband who I appreciate and love more than he'll ever know!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...