We are a married couple who adopted our little Russky, Nikita {aka Nicky, Nicky noodle, little man, Nikoli, the Nickster, crazy dude, goofball, puppy love, etc...you get the picture!} from St Petersburg, Russia four years ago. Join us as we stumble through the joys and perils of parenthood, while our son teaches us a few things along the road...



7.16.2010

I Got A New Drug

Somebody get this chick one of them there old lady weekly pill box thing-a-ma-jigs before she gets arthritis from opening all those pill bottles every day!

Seriously...here  is the handfull I take in the morning...


...and here is the handfull I take in the evening...


I'm sure there are people out there that take way more than that...but they're probably 30 years older than me too!  I usually take out the morning pills when I'm getting my evening pills together to take, and there have been a few times when I've slipped and taken one pill too many.  I definitely don't want to take some of the morning ones at night, or I'll be up cleaning the house like a crazy women due to all the energy that would be coursing through my veins!

As with the other migraine preventative pills (both anti-convulsants and beta blockers), the most recent one (the super-awesome make me gain weight and lose my hair heinous Depakote) has been fired.  Kicked to the curb.  Good riddance.  I couldn't deal with the side effects any longer, especially since I was still having way too many days of headaches.  So, I now introduce you to Keppra.  Yet another anti-convulsant, Keppra is so far so good.  The side effects are:  lethargy (awesome thing to have when living with a 4 year old) and reduction in serotonin, which could cause moodiness, depression and/or moments of pure rage (also great things to have when hanging out with a 4 year old).  Let me put it this way - I've always had a tad bit of the ol' road rage - but now it's kinda bumped up a notch lately.  To the point that I even freaked myself out mid-freak-out about some car cutting me off the other day.  Enter vitamin B12.  Oh...and his friends B2 and B6.  They are all "essential" to your metabolism and apparently B6 is good for the nervous system and is used in some of the herbal migraine remedies.  Why all the B?  Well, they have the effect of elevating the depleted levels of serotonin and give you more energy and are supposed to help you feel more balanced and less crazy woman.  Just what the guy at GNC doctor ordered!

It's only been a few weeks, so the jury's still out on whether or not the Keppra is keeping the migraines completely at bay.  However, I am happy to announce is that my hair is no longer falling out in massive clumps!!!  Yay me!  I have a million baby hairs in the spots where I had lost so much, but I'll take fly-aways over baldness any day.   And, I've managed to lose some poundage.  Yes, I realize that I'm not obese by any means, but still.  When you're used to being a certain weight and then you have to go out and buy a new wardrobe because all of a sudden nothing fits anymore, it's kinda disconcerting! 

Fingers crossed (as I say with each new miracle drug) that this one works...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...