We are a married couple who adopted our little Russky, Nikita {aka Nicky, Nicky noodle, little man, Nikoli, the Nickster, crazy dude, goofball, puppy love, etc...you get the picture!} from St Petersburg, Russia four years ago. Join us as we stumble through the joys and perils of parenthood, while our son teaches us a few things along the road...



4.30.2010

7 Things Learned Traveling in Eastern Europe

1.  4 Star (as in hotel, etc) is all relative...
Sure it's pretty and in the center of everything you want to see, but the only real perks (I noticed or cared about) were free internet in the lobby and wi-fi in the rooms; hot items at the included breakfast (but do I REALLY need to eat heaping portions of fluffy, yummy eggs for breakfast?); and a doorman.  Walking a little further to the sites can provide perks as well (as in walking off all the eggs I consumed at the other hotel!).

2.  The queue is merely a suggestion in most of Europe...
I've traveled enough that I should not be bothered, nor surprised by this fact.  However, it still gets my goat every time.  I can't decide which is my favorite.  When they jump the queue, knowing they're doing it and just look at you like they know you'll let them in.  Or when they look at you like you're the crazy one, then say "Oh.  Is this the line for...?"  Nope.  I'm just standing here behind 100 other idiots for no reason whatsoever!
*picture taken from an article in the Sydney Morning Herald*

3.  Sometimes ABC ("another bloody church") can be awe inspiring...


...or a tad bit creepy, yet cool...


4.  Don't assume a ticket booth at the Metro is closed just because the shades are drawn, the lights are off, and it appears no one is home...
You will undoubtedly find yourself faced with these guys if you decide to head down to the trains to seek alternate methods of payment.

*these aren't the actual ones that demanded our "papers" then threatened to throw us in jail, but I found a pic on the internet!*

5.  If you have an unpleasant experience with one American Airlines travel arranger, call back in an hour and you will receive the complete opposite...
I realize they were under a lot of stress due to the situation, however, I was keeping my cool with the fact that my trip home was completely up in the air and was in a foreign country for who knows how long.  Is it too much to ask that the professionals act, well, um, professional?!


6.  A glass of wine or a cup of coffee, along with good company, is just as enlightening as viewing any historic site...


7.  And finally...go with the flo, yo...
Not everything can be controlled, and sometimes having your cheese moved can be a good thing.  Wandering alone aimlessly will often find you right where you should be, and will always add to the experience.  I vow to make this my new mantra in (most) everything I do.  I'll let ya know how that works out for me!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...