We are a married couple who adopted our little Russky, Nikita {aka Nicky, Nicky noodle, little man, Nikoli, the Nickster, crazy dude, goofball, puppy love, etc...you get the picture!} from St Petersburg, Russia four years ago. Join us as we stumble through the joys and perils of parenthood, while our son teaches us a few things along the road...



4.06.2010

Frogs in a Box

What do you do when you receive a box labeled such as this delivered to your office?

I'll tell you what I did - opened it very cautiously!  And, the label was completely incorrect, unless I don't know my fish from my amphibians.  Here's what I did find in the box (with three very curious co-workers anxiously awaiting)...


Yup - frogs.  Two aquatic mini frogs.  Uncle Brent thought it would be a good gift for Nicky for his birthday, and last week we received a box in the mail labeled "FrogOSphere" - a complete self-contained ecosystem with two mini frogs.  Only, the frogs weren't in that box.  We had to call a number to request said frogs, and they had to be signed for, thus the delivery to the office.

Supposedly these are live frogs.  I say that with some skepticism because one arrived belly up and neither have moved all day, nor do they appear to be breathing.  I read a few reviews online and found that there were others who had received frogs that had kicked the bucket, and after calling they were sent yet more frogs.  I had to wonder - how many times do you have to call before you would finally receive live frogs - apparently there's a 30 day cap on the free frog for the item you paid for, and they could take up to 7-10 business days for delivery.  Meaning you pretty much only have three chances to get 'em while they're (hopefully) hopping.  Hmm...that's some customer satisfaction right there!  The lady on the phone assured me that since their skin was not shedding off (ew...gross!) that they were probably just in shock and that after a nice warm bath (aka floating in a luke-warm bowl of water) they should start to perk up.  Um...ok...we'll just see about that.

So Nicky's birthday is today.  He knows he has received this aquarium, and that at some point there will in fact be frogs contained within.  Do you know how patient 4 year olds are?  The delimma is - do we show him the frogs and hope they magically come to life or do we wait until we know they are a part of the living world?  And, how do we dispose of a dead frog that really wasn't ever a part of our family?  Are they flushable?  Certainly a burial in the backyard would not be necessary, not to mention I can picture the dogs digging them up and rolling all over the carcasses to get their "perfume" on themselves...dogs are so gross, but I continue to let them kiss me on the mouth and sleep in my bed...what's wrong with me?!  Anyway...

Assuming the little hoppers do make it and Kris doesn't have to learn CPR for froggys, we'll have to name them.  Do you know there are entire websites devoted to frog names?  I mean, seriously, who has time to go on Ask.com or YahooAnswers to ask the virtual world what they should name their pet frog?  Ok, so obviously I came across the website too, but in my defense it was only because it was shown to me by someone else!  One site even said "well, it really depends on the type of frog".  Really?  As if Ted or Kermit or Toady McFadden wouldn't work for just any old frog?  I'm gonna throw the names of Snoop Frog and Fo Rizzle into the hat...do you think those would be appropriate if repeated at the preschool?

1 comment:

jenn said...

well....were they alive????

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...