We are a married couple who adopted our little Russky, Nikita {aka Nicky, Nicky noodle, little man, Nikoli, the Nickster, crazy dude, goofball, puppy love, etc...you get the picture!} from St Petersburg, Russia four years ago. Join us as we stumble through the joys and perils of parenthood, while our son teaches us a few things along the road...



4.30.2010

What Sounds Like an X-Rated Film Title is Actually a Charming Little Village


Upon learning we had another day in the Golden City, we decided to take a day trip to Kutná Hora.  Don't ask me the proper way of saying this quaint town - I thought butchering it with my best Texan accent was much funner! 

The town's main draw is the Cathedral of St Barbara, or St Bab's as I like to call her, and she didn't let us down.  The frescoes and woodwork are quite impressive, as are the gothic arches and spires on the outside.



Here's yet another church in the town...I've seen and toured countless numbers of them in my lifetime, especially having grown up in Europe, I can't decide if I'm getting tired of them or want to see more.

*Church of St. James (Kostel sv. Jakuba)*

We had hoped to visit the Czech Museum of Silver, however, there were two groups of what appeared to be school kids (man I'm old - they were teenagers and I'm calling them "kids" like they're 10 or something!) on a field trip in the town the same day, and apparently adding two extra bodies to the tour was way too much to ask.  (can you tell I'm still a little miffed about that?)

After a bite to eat, we headed to the Kostnice (aka Sedlac Ossuary).  It looks unassuming from the outside...

...but eeks!  Once you enter, you realize you're not in any ordinary church...

Yep - them's bones!

It was absolutely worth the trip to this little town.  Not only did we see some interesting things, but we did some cousin bonding on the train ride to and from.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...