We are a married couple who adopted our little Russky, Nikita {aka Nicky, Nicky noodle, little man, Nikoli, the Nickster, crazy dude, goofball, puppy love, etc...you get the picture!} from St Petersburg, Russia four years ago. Join us as we stumble through the joys and perils of parenthood, while our son teaches us a few things along the road...



4.14.2010

Meet the Johnsons


I cannot believe that it's been 2 years that we got our referral.  It was on April 10, 2008, around 4:30pm, and I was sitting at work when my cell phone displayed the name of our adoption agency, EACI.  Without fully understanding it at the time, it was the day that our lives changed forever.  We had spoken with our counselor the night before and she had asked if we would be ok with a little boy that was 2 (we had originally given our age range as 9 - 18 months).  She gave us the evening to think about it, and I sent her a message the next day saying "Of course!" We kinda figured something was up when she kept saying "Not that there is a little boy, but we're just asking..."  Umm Hmm.  Sure.  As with all things that happen in the Johnson house (either good or bad) Kris was at the fire station, so when she called that afternoon to inform me that there was indeed a little 2 year old needing a home, the first hug was from my boss.  Eh...better than nothing.


I remember being so full of emotions and calling Kris, my parents, Kris' parents - all while crying and FREAKING OUT!!! The almost 3 months we waited before going to meet him was unbearable. Every time my phone rang, I would jump to see who it was. We called our counselor a few times to make sure the wait time was normal, and by September, we were heading home with a little boy that looked exactly like us. We were all nervous, uneasy, scared, and overall unsure what to do with each other. It was the biggest adjustment any of our lives had ever had to make.

I'm so proud to say that after 18 months, we are settled.  All three of us; together on one page. I'm tearing up and have a huge lump in my throat as I write this, because what I really want to do is jump with joy and scream from the rooftops!  I can without a doubt say that I love this little boy with all my heart.  He is our son, in every sense of the word.  We've navigated a long, bumpy, tumultuous road, but we've made it.  We are a family!!!

Ps…this post, of all posts is undoubtedly my favorite. I have waited so long for this one to come, and it was so worth the wait!

1 comment:

jenn said...

great post annaliese! made me tear up too...
love the pic

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...