We are a married couple who adopted our little Russky, Nikita {aka Nicky, Nicky noodle, little man, Nikoli, the Nickster, crazy dude, goofball, puppy love, etc...you get the picture!} from St Petersburg, Russia four years ago. Join us as we stumble through the joys and perils of parenthood, while our son teaches us a few things along the road...



12.22.2009

Best Snack EVER

This year Nicky and I made White Chocolate Christmas Chex Mix and put it in little gift boxes to deliver to our neighbors. I am completely unable to follow any recipe - I tend to add/change/delete ingredients to suit my liking - and this one was no different.  Instead of white chocolate I used almond bark, and instead of peanuts I used cashews (a far superior nut if you ask me).  I also added mint extract for a little "umpf", and let me assure you, it definitely makes this mix fabulous!  I made an extra batch, and figured we would take it to Nana's house for our Christmas gathering, however, at the rate Kris, Nicky and myself are going, there will be none left!  I almost brought it to work today to overnight to Nana just so we would keep our hands out of it!  It's soo good - something about the sweet/salty/minty/chocolatey combination is so addicting.  In fact, I'm posting this at work and all I can think about is going home to have a few bites (yeah right...more like several handfuls!)!  Nicky loves to "help cook" so it was a fun thing to do together, and the end result was delish - we will definitely make this snack an annual tradition!

(sidebar: If you notice in the picture above, Nicky's right hand is on the counter - exactly where I put it.  He accidently got some of the chex mix on the counter, floor, and on his hand.  He became very upset and concerned about who was going to clean it ("bliter get it?"  "man get it?" - not sure who this "man" is, but at some point we told him a "man" was going to clean up a mess somewhere, and that is now his go-to person for the cleaning up of messes).  I tried to explain to him that it was ok; I would clean it up in a minute; not to worry about it; etc.  Since he had some on his hand, it became completely immobile, and he just stood there with it sticking straight out like he was Bob Dole or something.  So I put his hand on the counter - where it stayed, in the exact position in which I placed it, until I was done taking the picture and picked it up to wipe it off.  Unfortunately, we're constantly reminded that you can take the child out of the orphanage, but not the other way around.  You see, growing up in the orphanage you have 2 outfits...and you do NOT get them dirty.  Any time Nicky gets dirty, he obsesses until he's clean...as if he's going to be punished.)

Hold up - this post was supposed to be fun, and somehow it went in a different direction there for a minute.  So, um, to sum up:  getting dirty is ok; cooking with Momma is fun; and Christmas Chex Mix is da bomb! :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...