We are a married couple who adopted our little Russky, Nikita {aka Nicky, Nicky noodle, little man, Nikoli, the Nickster, crazy dude, goofball, puppy love, etc...you get the picture!} from St Petersburg, Russia four years ago. Join us as we stumble through the joys and perils of parenthood, while our son teaches us a few things along the road...



12.31.2009

Oh Baby

Nicky and I stopped to go potty while we were driving to San Antonio for Christmas.  While in the bathroom, Nicky saw the baby changing table thingy and asked "what dat? dat for baby?".  I told him that yes, it was for babies and that was where Momma's and Daddy's would change babies' diapers.  He then says "i want baby."  "You want a baby?!", I replied.  "yep.  i want baby.", said Nicky with a big smile.  "I don't know about that buddy" was all I could think of to say at that moment.  Luckily, that was the moment Nicky decided to stick his hands all over the filthy changing table, wall and trash can in one fail swoop, causing me to freak out, thereby changing the subject.  Whew. 

Sidebar...why, oh why, must little boys put their hands all over EVERYTHING in the bathroom?!  So disgusting!  I freak out every time and scream "Don't touch that!"  "EW!"  "That's yucky!"  "Put your hands in your pockets and don't touch anything!"  This is why the taking of the child to the potty is Daddy's job.  I just can't handle it.


On the way home from San Antonio, the three of us were standing in line at a store.  We had the following conversation: 
Nicky:  i want a baby.
Daddy and I looked at each other with "huh?!" looks.  (Daddy had not yet heard the story from the Starbuck's potty.)
Daddy:  You have a baby; you have Felix.
Momma:  Yeah, and Lenny, and Shamu, and Bevo, and...
Nicky:  no.  not dat babies.  a baby.
Daddy:  Not a chance.
Nicky: oh.
Daddy and I exchanged a "wtf?!" look and changed the subject. 

Keep in mind, Kris and I have both agreed that Nicky will be an only child.  We had pretty much agreed on this before we brought Nicky home - Kris wanted 2 kids; I wanted none...1 is a good compromise!  Then there's the infertility factor, not to mention the fact that we had to take out a loan for the little Russky.  When you add it up, we can't afford more than one child.  Plus, I'll say it, I'm selfish.  I like to go and do things and see things and travel and eat out.  And call me crazy, but I like to do these things with my family - having more kids would mean we'd have to cut way back on the fun stuff.  Unless they start paying firemen a heck of a lot more, there would be no way we would be able to enjoy our current lifestyle if we added to our brood.  I'd have to quit my job to stay home...and unless staying home means laying around and watching tv all day, and doing generally nothing, then being a stay-at-home mom ain't gonna happen! 

So, my dear son, you can want a baby to your heart's content.  And, I understand your want, but, it's not gonna happen.  However, getting a puppy is a viable option...and if we gang up on your Daddy, we might have a chance!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...